variety of zoysia grass created for its blue-green color, durability and texture -- requires less fertilizer and water than St. Augustine or Bermuda grasses. Empire zoysia tends to get much less susceptible to pests and disease than other grasses. It thrives in U.S. Department of Agriculture hardiness zones 6b through 11 and grows best in areas that acquire about four hours of sunlight each day.
- Water Empire zoysia grass only as needed when it exhibits indicators of drying. Once the blades start off to curl inward, water the grass to a soil depth of four to six inches. Simply because of its deep root system, this assortment calls for much less frequent watering than other grasses.
- Cut Empire zoysia lawns using a standard rotary mower or professional-grade reel mower. Mow to a height between 1 and 2 inches tall when blades reach 2 1/2 to three inches.
- Acquire and analyze a soil sample using a home soil evaluation kit. Empire zoysia thrives in somewhat acidic soil with a pH level among 6.0 and six.five. Fertilize an established lawn with a 16-4-8 product specifically labeled for zoysia grass in mid-May and yet again in mid-July. For each application, spread 2 to four pounds of 16-4-8 fertilizer using a broadcast spreader per 1,000 square feet of grass.
- Pull visible weeds by hand as they seem, like their roots. Empire zoysia is naturally weed-resistant given that it grows so densely. Dispose of weeds properly to keep them from rerooting.
- Remove thatch and debris every other 12 months in late winter using a rented commercial machine or core aerator. Though Empire zoysia is resistant to most pests and diseases, it really is susceptible to brown patch disease. Just as rhe identify implies, it results in round brown patches throughout the lawn. Fungicides are largely ineffective in treating brown patch. Getting rid of thatch and mowing often keep the disease beneath control.
- Deal with for pests as required. Check the grass and surrounding areas for billbugs, webworms or armyworms in the event you discover brown patches while in the lawn. Eradicate these pests using a carbaryl insecticide. Location the insecticide within a broadcast spreader and apply it evenly over the lawn right after a rain, and don't water the lawn for two days soon after applying the insecticide to avoid washing it away. Repeat application as essential but not more than every two weeks.
Read more how to dethatch st augustine grass